Work permits for teachers

Work permits for teachers

Regarding 'New law regarding work permits for teachers' (Ajarn Postbox, 12th May) It is my understanding that:

If you have an education degree and have completed the TELC course (Thai ethics, language and culture - AKA culture course) you can get your teacher's license (yellow card).

If you have a non-education degree, have completed the TELC course and passed the TCT tests you can get your license (and no longer need the provisional permit).

If you can show professional development (considerable work toward your PGCE / B.Ed/M.Ed) you MAY get a 3rd provisional permit (provided you will complete the course before the permit expires).

If you have done nothing (or done nothing other than enroll) then two work permits is the limit and you are done as a teacher.

This has a significant impact on teachers who change schools since each time you change employers (assuming you had a work permit) you use up one of your two allotted provisional permits. This can use up both permits in as short a time as two semesters. By staying at the same school that period can be up to 4 years (2 permits of 2 years each).

To the best of my knowledge this affects all schools covered under OBEC and all schools covered under the Private Schools Act.


Read more letters

Send your letter to

Featured Jobs

Teacher of Chemistry (Including IGCSE and A-Level)

฿70,000+ / month


NES Kindergarten Teachers for October Start

฿36,000+ / month


Filipino ICT Teacher for Primary (Khokkloy)

฿25,000+ / month


Upper Maths Position at Governent Secondary School

฿34,000+ / month

Nakhon Si Thammarat

Secondary English Teacher

฿35,000+ / month

Chon Buri

Secondary PE & Health Teacher

฿50,000+ / month

Samut Sakhon

Featured Teachers

  • Jia

    Canadian, 34 years old. Currently living in Bangladesh

  • Vishal

    Indian, 35 years old. Currently living in Thailand

  • Marc

    French, 49 years old. Currently living in France

  • Kawesa

    Ugandan, 29 years old. Currently living in Thailand

  • Bruce

    American, 70 years old. Currently living in USA

  • Cecil

    French, 39 years old. Currently living in Thailand

The Hot Spot

Need Thailand insurance?

Need Thailand insurance?

Have a question about health or travel insurance in Thailand? Ricky Batten from Pacific Prime is Ajarn's resident expert.

Will I find work in Thailand?

Will I find work in Thailand?

It's one of the most common questions we get e-mailed to us. So find out exactly where you stand.

Contributions welcome

Contributions welcome

If you like visiting and reading the content, why not get involved yourself and keep us up to date?

Teacher mistakes

Teacher mistakes

What are the most common mistakes that teachers make when they are about to embark on a teaching career in Thailand? We've got them all covered.

Renting an apartment?

Renting an apartment?

Before you go pounding the streets, check out our guide and know what to look out for.

Can you hear me OK?

Can you hear me OK?

In today's modern world, the on-line interview is becoming more and more popular. How do you prepare for it?

The dreaded demo

The dreaded demo

Many schools ask for demo lessons before they hire. What should you the teacher be aware of?